New Year gym resolutions typically taper off come mid-February

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KBSI) – The beginning of the new year is the time many people establish new goals, albeit financial or personal or mental health.

Gym owners see the impact of the new year hype as people start joining gyms in January but around mid-February, they see a drop off in attendance.

River City Fitness Co-owner Mitchell Glueck says he sees about 25 percent of newcomers drop off from January.

“I would guess it’d probably be about one-quarter of those 25 percent of those really kind of taper off early on; the other 75 percent might make it six months or might just change their life and just keep on full steam ahead,” said Glueck.

A busy schedule and loss of motivation can be the cause for the drop of people completing their workout goals.

Glueck shared some tips for people looking to push through the challenges and hit their fitness goals.

“Expecting instant results and that just doesn’t happen, you know? It takes time, it takes effort and consistency; you got to stay with it and then not get bored, right? So, sometimes, you’re doing the same thing over and over again. It does get kind of boring, so you want to switch it up, keep it fun, find new workouts, work out with a friend,” he said.

Glueck wants everyone working toward their goals to know the journey isn’t one size fits all. You have to do what works best for you.

Concluded Glueck: “Find what suits you the best, you know? Everyone is different.”

Categories: News