Turkey frying safety tips
CARBONDALE, Ill. (KBSI) – Turkey fryer mishaps are one of the leading causes of Thanksgiving cooking fires.
Avoid using deep-fat turkey fryers. If you decide to use a turkey fryer, the Carbondale Fire Department offers these safety tips:
- Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors at a safe distance from buildings and any other flammable materials.
- Make sure the fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping.
- Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and dried. Water causes oil to spill over, leading to fire or even an explosion.
- Turn the gas off before placing the turkey in the fryer.
- Never leave the fryer unattended.
- Never let children or pets near the fryer.
Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire.
Those wanting more information on cooking fires can call the Carbondale Fire Department at 618-457-3234.