Carbon monoxide poisoning can be detected in your home

What are the proper steps to take? How can you prevent CO poisoning?

FRUITLAND, MO (KBSI)- Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “Invisible Killer” because of it’s a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that leads it to easily become undetected in homes or buildings … until it’s too late!

Every year, at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning.

Deputy Chief Tim Bleichroth of the Fruitland Fire Protection District: “A patient who has been exposed to carbon monoxide, will experience dizziness, um…some nausea, possibly some vomiting, confusion, along with flu-like symptoms.”

Approximately 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency room each year due to accidental CO poisoning.

The problem can be rectified if the proper precautions are taken.

“Any gas-burning appliance, such as a water heater, or a furnace be inspected yearly, and that is properly ventilated, fireplaces need to be cleaned frequently at least once a year or at least inspected before cleaning,” said Bleichroth.

Fruitland Fire Protection also says to keep a CO detector on every level of your home, and to change the batteries every six months to a year.

Concluded Bleichroth: “Use only a properly, um…room heater that is specialized to be inside, don’t bring in propane heaters to heat your home, all of those things will cause CO2 to build in the home.”

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that more than 150 people in the united states die every year from accidental non-fire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators.

Other products include faulty, improperly used or incorrectly vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces.

Categories: News