2 dead, 8 injured injured after house explosion in Wyatt

WYATT, Mo. (KBSI) – Two people died and eight others were injured after a house exploded in Wyatt on Monday, August 15.

A three-year-old girl died Aug. 18 from her injuries. Her father Corey Coleman also died from his injuries.

The mother and a 6-month-old baby are in critical condition and fighting for their lives, according to the Mississippi County Sheriff’s Office.

The other victims are in stable condition and still undergoing medical treatment in various mid-west hospitals, according to the sheriff’s office.

“Please pray for this family and everyone who was involved in this incident,” said Mississippi County Sheriff Britton Ferrell. “This incident was beyond tragic and struck this community hard.”

Captain Barry Morgan with the Mississippi County Sheriff’s Office says the sheriff’s department and Charleston Department of Public Safety (Fire Division) received a call about 7 a.m. on Aug. 15 of a fire/explosion at 505 Pecan Street.

A total of 10 victims were found at the scene. They range in ages from 6 months to mid-20s.

All the victims were taken to medical facilities in Paducah, Cape Girardeau and Sikeston. Capt. Morgan says a few of the injured would be flown to Cardinal Glennon in St. Louis. All the injuries ranged from serious to life-threatening.

A preliminary investigation by the Missouri State Fire Marshal Service, Mississippi County Sheriff’s Office, and the Gas Commission investigation unit revealed that the cause of the explosion was from propane gas that filled the home. The leak is narrowed down to the gas cook stove or a gas water heater. It is unknown what the ignition source was that ignited the gas. It has been ruled an accident, but the investigation continues.

This incident is not drug related. No foul play is suspected.

The Mississippi County Ambulance Service, Charleston Department of Public Safety, Mississippi County Rescue Squad, Wyatt Fire Department, Missouri Conservation Department, South Scott County Ambulance Service, New Madrid County Ambulance Service, Air Evac Service, and the Missouri State Fire Marshal Service responded to the incident.

Virginia Bowles, neighbor and housefire victim says she witnessed the aftermath of the explosion,

“He (Bowles’ son) was yelling, ‘get out, get out,'” said Bowles. “Well I wasn’t going to get out without my coffee. So I turned around and got my coffee and my shoes, and I went back out on the porch and there was a real pretty young girl out there in the front yard, rolling over, and over, and over, and screaming she was on fire. I mean she was just burning up. And it was so heart breaking. I won’t ever get over it. Then I saw people running down the road hollering, ‘Help, help, help!’ And he (Bowles’ son) was telling me to get out. Well, I didn’t know what was going on. It was just sad. But the saddest part about it was seeing the young lady burning up. I mean flames were all over her. And it was really a sad situation.”

Categories: News