Some western KY highways reopen, others close due to icy conditions
(KBSI) – Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 1 crews made progress on reopening some rural secondary highways that had to be closed due to icy conditions Wednesday.
Warming of pavement due to sunshine on Wednesday caused sleet that remained on driving surfaces to thaw and then refreeze into ice.
A number of highways that had to be closed on Wednesday have reopened. Others had to be closed Thursday morning, according to KYTC.
- KY 95 is open immediately south of Calvert City in Marshall County
- KY 1523/Industrial Parkway is open west of KY 95 at Calvert City
- KY 1055 is open
- The U.S. 45 Ohio River “Brookport” Bridge at Paducah remains closed due to ice on the Kentucky approach
- KY 786/Mayfield-Metropolis Rd is closed between U.S. 62 and KY 1322/Lovelaceville Rd
- KY 970/Highland Church Rd is open between U.S. 62 and KY 1322/Lovelaceville Rd
- KY 999/Krebs Station Rd is open between KY 994/Old Mayfield Rd and KY 1954/Husbands Rd
- KY 348/Lovelaceville-Florence Station Rd East is open
- KY 970/Highland Church Rd is open between U.S. 62 and KY 1322
Highway maintenance crews continue working to clear ice from highways that remain closed. In some areas, personnel have carried salt in buckets to spread by hand to allow access by tow trucks and emergency vehicles. Salt trucks made additional runs along hilly areas and other potential trouble spots on rural secondary highways Thursday morning.
Slick road conditions in western Kentucky cause numerous crashes