KY man arrested in MO for murder of IL sheriff’s deputy

WAYNE COUNTY, Ill. (KBSI) – A Kentucky man was arrested for the murder of a Wayne County, Illinois sheriff’s deputy.

Ray Tate, 40, of Hopkinsville, Ky. faces a first degree murder charge.

Wayne County Sheriff’s Deputy Sean Rile was dispatched to a motorist assist on Interstate 64 eastbound at milepost 115 around 5 a.m. on Dec. 29.

A short time later another deputy responding to the scene found Riley dead on scene. Deputy Riley’s squad car was missing and then found abandoned a short time later just east of the scene.

Tate is accused of carjacking a truck tractor semi-trailer near the area Deputy Riley’s squad car was located. The driver of the truck tractor semi-trailer was held against his will and drove Tate to a gas station in St Peter’s, Mo. While in Missouri, a series of carjackings, robberies and shootings occurred, according to Illinois State Police.

Tate then traveled back into Illinois with a kidnapped victim in another stolen vehicle, according to ISP. That stolen vehicle was located at a home in rural Carlyle.

Tate committed a home invasion and took the homeowner and the kidnapped victim hostage at a home in rural Clinton County, according to ISP. Around 1:42 p.m. ISP Special Weapons and Tactics (S.W.A.T.) operators made entry into the home and took the suspect into custody without incident. The homeowner and kidnapped victim were located in the home uninjured.

Tate was taken to the Clinton County Jail where he is being charged with first degree murder by the Wayne County State’s Attorney.

“On behalf of the Illinois State Police, I extend my heartfelt condolences to Wayne County Deputy Sean Riley’s family, friends, and brothers and sisters at the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office,” said ISP Director Brendan F. Kelly in a news release. “Once again, the Illinois State Police has safely apprehended an alleged cop killer with exceptional professionalism, patience and persistence standing side by side with all Illinois law enforcement through another dark and difficult moment. Mercifully, this incident was concluded with no further harm to first responders, and this defendant will now face justice.”

The Illinois State Police was assisted by multiple agencies in southern Illinois and eastern Missouri.

Categories: News